THE BRAIN TRUST CHARITY’S SCHOOLS MEMORY POWER INITIATIVE WAS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED TO BRING MEMORY TRAINING TO A FEW SELECTED LONDON SCHOOLS. INSTEAD, WITH THE VALUABLE SUPPORT WE HAVE RECEIVED, IT HAS BLOSSOMED SPECTACULARLY INTO A NATIONWIDE MEMORY TRAINING PROGRAMME FOR SCHOOLS CULMINATING IN THE REMARKABLE SUCCESS OF A SCHOOLS MEMORY CHAMPIONSHIP WHICH IS BEING TELEVISED.
- This year’s Schools Memory Championships will be televised by UKTV for their main entertainment channel, Watch.
- The show will be recorded over 2 days on 28th and 29th August at the venue of MC Motors, a 6,000 square ft converted warehouse and events venue on the Kingsland Road, Dalston, East London.
- The 1 hour event special will be broadcast towards the end of the year with a view to it becoming a series of at least 6 episodes next year.
- Memory workshops have been co-ordinated with expert trainers and schools inviting along other schools in their region.
- To date there have been regional memory roadshows held around the UK for example in Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff and Kent. In Hammersmith and Fulham, London, the former Mayor Cllr Frances Stainton is working as our educational consultant.
- In total 21 schools have attended workshops reaching approx 500 students.
- Those schools are now running Brain Clubs in lunchtimes to train for a paper exam which they will sit at the end of term.
- The 8 highest scoring competitors will then be trained by leading memory champions to prepare for the final at the end of August. These include 8 x world champ Dominic O Brien; 2 x welsh champ James Paterson; UK memory champ Katie Kermode; schools memory champ Eva Ball.
- The finalists will compete in 4 events over two days testing their ability to remember numbers, words, historical facts & figures and playing cards.
- The show is being devised and Executive Produced by Simon Goodman of Showem. Simon is a BAFTA nominated format creator, writer & producer who has created and produced over 100 hours of formatted entertainment and factual TV programming for the UK (BBC, C4, C5, Virgin Media), US (MTV, ABC) and international markets. Next year the intention is to have at least 2000 young students take part running many more roadshows and setting up many more schools Brain Clubs to train for the competition.
http://www.tvapex.com/watch.aspx?i=1031&j=Brain-Trust UK – Annual Awards 2014 &k=search
Please see the above link for The Brain Trust annual award ceremony and announcement of the Schools Programme.
RAY KEENE OBE